Okay, so we don’t go back quite that far. But Humane Society of West Michigan (then known as the Humane Society of Kent County) does have a lengthy history. In fact, it was first organized in 1883 by a group of citizens who shared a concern for animals. The group housed the animals in private homes and veterinarian clinics until the first Humane Society shelter was built in 1944. Due to a fire, the Society was moved in 1969 to 1890 Bristol NW in Grand Rapids. It was a major step forward for the Society and provided significant improvements in its ability to serve as a haven for neglected, abused and abandoned animals.
February, 2001 brought an equally important move to a new location at 3077 Wilson Drive NW in Grand Rapids. The current 21,500 square foot facility was generously funded by individual and corporate donors.
The gifts made to the building campaign have had a profound impact on Humane Society of West Michigan's mission, enabling us to improve the care we provide to animals, increase the number of animal adoptions, expand volunteer opportunities, and launch new initiatives that benefit the community's animals.